Network Security Assessment
Network Security Assessment is a wide field and can be broken down into various components. This page will show some of the tools and resources related to NSA. It is a work-in-progess.
Passive discovery tools allow you to gather information about a network subnet or host without detection
- Google Advanced Search - try site: and inurl: options for a start
- TODO: add links to google hacking info
- Netcraft's Whats that site running?
- Netcraft's SearchDNS
- whois - query Domain registries & registrars, ARIN (whois.arin.net), RIPE (whois.ripe.net), APNIC (whois.apnic.net)
- p0f - versatile passive OS fingerprinting tool
- dnstop - shows DNS traffic on your network
- arpwatch - stealth monitoring of ARP pairings
Active tools leave a mark, whether it be in the logfiles of the scanned host, triggers a intrustion detection system (HIDS/NIDS) and so on.
- nmap - free open source utility for network exploration or security auditing
- dig - swiss-army knife of DNS query tools, part of the BIND suite
- Nessus - free/commercial vulnerability scanner by Tenable Security with vast assortment of plugins
- nmblookup - NetBIOS over TCP/IP client used to lookup NetBIOS names